Nemo's Happy Pillow!

Copyright: The Anti-Social Butterfly
Nemo's Happy Pillow (right side up)
Clip from the Bond series
Did someone say evil?
A definite mood-lifter on those drab monsoon day is with a little day-dreaming. On those days, I think of myself as a super villain, with an evil kitten resting on my lap. 

I almost got to further that fantasy with 1 of my crochet projects - a cat pillow. It was actually made in 2012, but was only used in 2013 that too not by the intended recipient.


Don't I look pretty?
It all started with a CAL/KAL proposed by my Ravelry Group. One of the things that could be made were pillows. I didn't require any for my home, so was wondering what use to put it to, when suddenly I remembered Nemo, my cat! 
Still excited by the arrival of my kitten, I thought of making one for him. Cos, obviously every super-villain needs a pampered, evil kitty! :)

The pattern chosen was the Pinwheel Pillow by Morgan Forrester.


First 2 colours
It took me a little over a month to complete the project. It was created as a stash buster with a border of black between colours. The material used was good, old acrylic, and crocheted with a 5mm hook.

Since, it was meant for my naughty, naughty cat, the colours chosen were on the darker side. As usual, there was no fixed size for the pillow, with me crocheting till I thought I had reached the optimum width. It was initially supposed to have an opening on the side so that the cushion could be stuffed in. Since I couldn't figure out the way to do it, I decided to follow the pattern and create the cover as 1 piece with a cushion stuffed in from the middle. 

Copyright: The Anti-Social Butterfly
The completed pillow (side with the opening)
The project took longer to finish as I needed to make the round stuffing pillow too. The obstacle came up when after spending almost 2 days looking for just a filler cushion, I could not find one of any size. All the shops had ready-made pillows with a fixed covers. So, armed with my amateur sewing skills and my grandmom's cool  sewing machine, I made one with recycled cloth and fiberfill. It was amazing!

To make it just purrfect for Nemo, the cushion was generously doused with catnip. But, alas, even with all my efforts, Nemo did not take to it and the poor cushion just had his name but no love! 

Wait! There is a happy ending to this story. My new kitten (Pookie - more about her later) loves the cushion, and can usually be seen happily gnawing away at it on most days. 

Do share your similar experiences!



Comments

Have you read our popular posts?

Piggy scarf

Presenting Ms Kitten

Animal scarves